Monday, January 14, 2013

New Codex

A year ago I was getting back into playing DA with the FAQ changes to the wargear, gearing them up for Templecon.  I originally started out with DA.  I've always loved the terminators and a sucker for redemption stories. I played them in two or three tournaments and hopped over to MSU Mech Blood Angels.  I just couldn't handle the lack of mobility, flexibility, and variety within the book.

Here I am getting my Blood Angel with Guard Allies army ready for Templecon and this new book drops...I just can't not play it!  The problem so far is that what I would play in the new book is not much different than what I would play in the old book, as many terminators as possible.  However, the Deathwing Squads have many of the same issues as the last book and are actually 5 points more expensive. I'm throwing around 3 different lists at the moment.

Straight up Dark Angels: Belial 3-4 DW squads, bike squad and a couple terminator squads hanging out with a librarian who has the 4++ bubble, divination and night-vision.

Deathwing with BA Allies.  Belial and a 10 DW squad hop in first turn.  BA use his homing beacon to drop on that location second turn. Again some devastators and librarian to fulfill the reserves vs. on the table requirement.

Last option is Deathwing with Guard allies.  Belial two Deathwing squads, librarian and devs: followed up with a 30 man blob, manticore and Marbo.

I really can't decide, which is problematic for two reasons.  If any of these three are going to be painted in time I needed to start a couple weeks ago.  I'm likely to only get 2-3 games in between now and Templecon...what to do what to do?

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to see how a pure DA list does with the new codex, Deathwing seems strong to me and the TL first round of shooting doesn't hurt. I think if you could afford the points for some Black Knights their Rad and Stasis grenades timed properly would help your termies big time in assaults especially against high toughness enemies like Daemons or Nids.

    Guard is the best choice for allies IMO, if i had more time for painting/assembling before Templecon i would either be bringing IG/DA or IG/BA.

    If you need to squeeze in some practice games other than Thursday 40k let me know Chris, i'm close to BG and have plenty of free time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're playing to win, play what you know.

    If you're playing for fun, only you'll know what to play.

    Only in concealing one's identity, can one truly be known.

    ReplyDelete