Monday, September 9, 2013

First Impressions of Space Marines

 

I'll leave it to every other site and blog out there to the hard core break down of the book, say what is good or bad, and to do an in depth analysis of the codex.  What I will way of it is this.  It is what I expected it to be, with one or two exceptions. I expected the model costs to be on par with Dark Angels and for the most part this was correct.  Scouts were modified just enough to be worth taking, which I was really pleased about.  It was something about the DA book that rubbed me the wrong way...after I buy camo cloaks they cost the same as Tactical marines???  Glad to see that minor change there. Librarian Level 2 upgrade is a bit cheaper as well.  Though I'd rather have access to divination for the difference!

Another deviation from the DA book is the Artifact section.  Each piece of gear looks either fun to use or really fun to model.  Both the Artificer Armor and the Stormshield are considerations if I did not want to run a named character in the HQ.

 The biggest shock for me was the point cost (I won't touch on the $$$ cost) of the centurions.  Without the ability to deepstrike or have an invulnerable save they are not worth the price per model.

While I am not blown away by this book it is what I exepcted it to be.  Not top tier competitive, but a nice update to what the marines have been, mostly as a result of the decrease in unit costs. I'm going to try them out proxied anyway to be thorough, but not expecting much for the results of that trial.

Unlike the DA book I've already got a list in mind that I am excited about running in the first week.  I'll post it sometime Friday, after I get to play it Thursday night

No comments:

Post a Comment