Saturday, March 10, 2012

Just adding some notes on how the last few singles tournaments have gone.  I couldn't find or remember anything earlier than these 4, so I'll start with this.  Looking back, this past year has been pretty solid.  Templecon in Feb. of last year I pulled out a 3rd place finish in the 1850 with Blood Angels.  In July at the FLGS I placed 2nd in the 2000, then again this January for 1750 I placed 8th and Best Painted Army.  Templecon thi s year was a much improved scene, so I didn't see ending up in 14th as that big of a drop off from the previous year, more on that later in it's own post.  I did however end up with the highest painting score for the event.

There were a couple of Doubles events mixed in there as well.  I did miss out on Ard Boyz on account of my company picnic and the Falmouth Roadrace taking up that whole weekend.  Hoping that not all 3 of these events end up on the same weekend again this year!

Looking ahead this year I plan on attending at least one more major event.  My focus has to be improving my game against more opponents and more armies.  I'm confident with my ability to put together good lists, but I end up having trouble with armies I have not played against enough and against better players.  This is a pretty obvious point, but all the more evident with the two matches I struggled with at the last two tourneys.  At the last BG tourney I ended up selling myself short because I hadn't played against Orcs or Grey Knights before with my Deathwing.  If I had played more aggressively against each I may have maxed points against both instead of minor wins.  Something that would have made a big difference overall.  At Templecon it was the opposite. I was well prepared for Blood Angels, but both my opponents were better players and had more practice with their armies than I did with mine.

1. Play different opponents
2. Play against more armies

To be continued...(painting goals for the year!)

No comments:

Post a Comment