Monday, April 23, 2012

Yesterday I finally got around to using the stain dip Brian had recommended and let me try. Pictures on the right have been dipped.  I'm thrilled with the level of shadowing.  Looking back there are only a couple things I would have done differently.  The browns need much more extreme highlights than I am used to doing.  Shouldn't be much of a surprise, but it ends up very muted.  There are also a few should pads that I wanted to do some free hand work on, which I forgot to do prior to the dip.  I'll have to see how well the varnish takes another layer of paint...then another layer of the dip.  I'm guessing it is going to look pretty thickly layered, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

 







This week I will be working on 2 projects.  First is Repentia for Simon.  They are already base coated and I started applying some wash last night.  This will be a fun quick project since the time consuming part is already done. Just needs some highlights and basing to get these ones done.

After the repentia I'll start working on my doubles list for next month.  The plan is to pair up with Gundam John as usual with his Tau.  We need a lot of practice and work on getting the list right.  We tend to get a good list in, but usually not with enough time to practice and we then tend to play two separate games rather than utilizing each others units effectively.  Getting things squared away sooner and having some practice should help.  1250 with shared force org per usual.

I did also hear rumor that they'll be doing away with the single model painting competition and only awarding for army.  I'm disappointing to hear this.  The store dropped the prize amount already and now is getting rid of the second prize.  I hope this doesn't lead to lots of barely primed or naked grey models at too many events going forward.  The store is quickly becoming THE place to play for many of the regionally competitive players. So there is much more focus on playing than the hobby in general.  I hope that this doesn't change the very friendly enjoyable atmosphere we have worked very hard in creating there.  They recently introduced a system and reward for sportsmanship, which should help balance out the competitiveness.  I'm not thrilled that the prize is about the same as first place, considering the opinion of three people are all that determines the prize.  I'm not all that convinced it even fosters a better environment.  Anyone that pleasant to play against is going to be that way whether there is a prize or not.  The win at all cost, sore losers know that they don't have a shot and aren't likely to change their style for something unobtainable.

I don't want this long rant to be the only reflection on the store since it would make it sound like an awful place to play, which couldn't be farther from the truth; amazingly well organized events, exceptionally knowledgeable staff on hand rules disputes, and they are very receptive of feed back, so you can be sure I'll be having a conversation with them about this to give them my two cents for what it is worth  in a constructive way.  I love playing there and want to help keep it a great place to play.

We'll see how the week goes.  Typically, I don't play the Thursday after a tourney, but I really want to try some of the changes I made to the list out.  I'll be posting the refined 2000 point list soon.




1 comment:

  1. BG's rising popularity is a double-edged sword. Hopefully the upcoming events will better reflect what we love about the community, while trying still to welcome as many people as possible.

    ReplyDelete