Friday, August 23, 2013

Guard vs. Wave Serpeants....giving up on the game....

Bill needed some more Nova practice so I quickly added some points to the 1500 I have been gearing up for so he could get another game in.  He's got 5 Wave sepreants and the Supplement giant HQ dude.  I brought a blob, some autocannon teams, manticores the two Psyker Battle Squads and the defense line.  The game was over after two turns.  My shooting first turn was decent, but with the pen to glance rolls, I just ended taking hull points off of whatever was in range.

Next turn the torrent of fire came down and I took most of my army off the table.  I took the rest of it off the next turn.  This is not a complaint against the Wave Serpent List.  Yes it is a slice of cheese, but my frustration has much more to do with the armies I own and the current rule sets that apply.  Dark Angels got a very fluffy fun book that has no business at a competitive event.  Regular marines are overdue for an update (not bitter, just a couple more weeks there). Blood Angels time has passed.  Guard just don't bring the bang at all like they used to.

I could try out GK or Wolves with the models that I have, but I'd be plugging holes in a doomed ship.  So what am I to do?  I'm not reinvesting in the game at this point for a new army...but I really need to see something in the Vanilla Marines book that tells me they will be competitive and not just like the Dark Angels book where they dropped the prices for models, added some overpriced artifacts and pushed it out the door.

I've always been about power armor and assault, clearly this is not the edition for me!  I'm not giving up.  I'm going to take the one gimmick out of the DA book that works and try and make it work for me.  Azrael blob here we go?

2 comments:

  1. The unfortunate truth is we are going to be stuck facing Wave Serpent heavy lists for quite awhile i think.

    I've faced them 3 or 4 times now and have come to the conclusion the only way to take them out is assault them (difficult if you're facing 5 of them, more difficult if you have nothing good in your army to assault with)

    Other options i want to explore are drop pods with combi-meltas, or Tau and lots of big guns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That list is awful to play against, but I think I'm beating myself more than it beating me. Need to refocus how I go about preparing for games. Need to mess around with the list less between games and really feel out which units I'm going to keep and figure out which ones are not effective. Definitely, have been over reactive to how some units from a single games performance.

    ReplyDelete