Friday, September 28, 2012

Adapting to 6e

I've managed to string together some games a few weeks in a row now and finding steady progress with the performance of my list with the changes that I have been making.  This week I trimmed out the Aegis Defense line with the Quad gun and the scouts and added in a full Sternguard squad in a drop pod.  There were also so minor gear swaps.

The full Sternguard, it turns out, is exactly the unit I needed to make the rest of this list work.  It is impossible for any army to ignore 10 sternguard in rapid fire range.  I've also got them tooled up with combi-meltas and combi flamers.  They split out of the drop pod and should do damage to two different squads or serious damage to one.  The combi-meltas are for dealing with AV14.  The combi-flamers are for overwatch, because there is a good chance someone is going to try and deal with these guys with an assault as a counter.

This seems like a lot of points to throw right into enemy deployment first turn, and it is.  However, it is enough points at a low risk.  With proper placement, these guys will likely be in rapid fire range and even if they aren't they can still get off a single shot up to 30" now.  Oppoents cannot ignore Sternguard, because these veterans can effect anything on the board: stuff hidden in cover, poison MCs, 3+ with vengeance, or 2+ with the combi-meltas.  10 Marines need a heck of a lot of attention put on them to wipe them out, usually two turns of shooting.  This is all the time that the Death Co. needs to cross the board walking.  If this plays out, it is all I need to take the game. The DC take any serious threat head on, while the assault marines and tactical squads engage anything else to keep them occupied. 

The other half of the tac squads sit back on objectives and put the plasma cannons to good use.  If my oppoent spreads out, it makes picking units apart with the assault squads easier and if they stay clumped up the plasma cannons take care of them.

Things that I need to be wary of are template weapons on the DC.  20 models is a big blob and I need to remember to keep them spread out a bit.  I'm still trying to figure out if I have enough to weather flyers, since I'm not bothering to bring a counter to them.  I think 76 PA bodies is enough, but not having gone against a Necron air force, or Chaos flying circus, I still have some concerns.

Looking to get one more game in at least in the next two weeks to get a better feel for how to run the list.  In the meantime I have plenty else to keep me occupied.  I just ordered a model to make a Sisters counts as Marbo, to make up for Simon, that I'm quite excited about.  Not to mention at least a dozen or so other models of his that he needs touched up.  I have a commission for a couple of reaper minis to look like Thundaar and Ookla, which are going to be fantastic.  I'll have a post up on them this weekend.  I have the models cleaned, primed and started to get some color on them.

My own models are in a complete state of disarray and with everything else above going on I am contemplating just putting them on hold and playing the next tourney without competing for best painted.  Really depends on how much sleep and free time I get...which is difficult because these are both competing for the same time blocks right now.  The the wee little one did sleep a solid 7 straight hours last night, so we may be on to something there!  This is very ambitious, so we'll see how it goes...

20 Death Co. - All need details and highlights
20 Tactical Marines - Not yet primed
5 Honor Guard - Need to redo the arms on all of these.  I originally did them with two plasma pistols for a gunslinger look....before I knew that gunslinger would be a real rule.
4 Assault Marines, need their arms redone.  They all have 2 infernus pistols for counts as melta guns...see above
5 Sternguard - not yet primed
5 Sternguard - Need to get 4 more guns and magnetize the arms
Drop Pod - primed
New Display Board - The board that I made for my 1850 point Deathwing, which is less than 30 models, will definitely not fit twice that number.


No comments:

Post a Comment