Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Avengers and Firey Bases



Cap
The last few weeks have been crazy, sick kids, vacation, sick kids while on vacation!  Anyway, I found a little time in between to work on a fun project for Gundam John.  5 Terminators for him to use as an allied shield wall for his Tau gunlines, to the them of the Avengers.  These were a fun side project that I banged out rather quickly.  They're purposefully "Table Top" rather than my best possible effort.  After starting them, Gundam John pretty much abandoned the idea of using them competitively in favor of a new list special for 6e he has been working on and subsequently mopping up his opponents with.

 But more on Gundam John's exploits later.  This was a great chance for me to use several colors I would not use for my own arm.  The purple for the Hult especially helped to ease me out of my usual earth palette and really add some contrast.  I intend to take advantage and add increase the range of my palette as a result and I am really excited about this.


Spidey
Iron Man


The Hulk
I was really more concerned with theme than actual conversion for this project, so I only made two minor changes.  Cap needed his shield, and a cross wouldn't do so I modified a shield drone down and used that as a shield.  Very appropriate since the main force was going to be Tau.  The other minor change was adding the wings to Thor's head.  Thor looked entirely too much like a Space Wolf and needed something to make it more distinct.  Thank you Dark Angels Veteran kit.
Thor  
Next up on the table are some custom bases for Matt.  I started these last night and they have started out pretty well.  I have no idea what the technique for what I am doing is called, but I think of it as wet dry-brushing....yeah.  Basically, I'm using the dry-brushing techniques most are familiar with, but applying lighter and lighter shades to the stones of the base while the previous layer is still wet. This ends up blending very nicely, while still allowing the layers that were brushed on more heavily underneath to be seen.



 There are also some chains and metal plates on the bases that I took a little more care with.  First a light watered coat of Boltgun. I then applied a couple layers each of blue and green wash, allowing each to dry before adding the next.  Lastly I went over it again with the metal to clean it up.  let me know how you think they came out.









4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of The Avengers theme (i think Cap came out the best but then again he is known for his shield).

    And John did just fine without a Deathwing wall lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see those guys on the table! Always nice to see a fun themed army! also the bases look good.. They will go great with my Legion of the Damned squad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Phoenix - Cap really did come out the best. I would have liked to have done a lot more detail with these guys, but at a certain point I am finding I need to scale back and just get things to look nice enough for table top. I have too many projects to make every model a master piece...unfortunately!

    @ Matt - the bases look much better than these pictures suggest. Lighting wasn't quite right. The color blending is pretty subtle and doesn't show at all in the poor lighting. I know you'll love these when you see them (tonight?) Also, I got the tats on the Ghosts so I'll bring them along as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are supremely awesome!
    Especially Cap's shield!

    ReplyDelete