Friday, September 21, 2012

The BLOB!

If 5e was a game of mech, I'm firmly convinced that 6e is all about infantry.  I'm sure this is intentional from a GW sales point as it will sell more models.  For an 1850 point game in 5e running my blood angels, I would have had between 25-35 infantry, 4-6 transports, a couple dreadnoughts and a couple of tanks. Last night running a dedicated infantry list I still felt like I was not running enough bodies, with almost 70 infantry models on the table... (5 Scouts, 10 Tactical Marines, 20 Assault Marines, 5 Honor Guard and 25 Death Co.)  At the end of the game I was trying to figure out how to keep the models I had alive longer, or how to add more into the list...I felt like this was not enough scoring units!?

It has taken me a a great deal of mental power to adjust.  It isn't that I couldn't figure out how the game had changed, or even what I needed to do to adapt to it.  Rather it was finding a combination of models that I have and units that I would enjoy playing to make 6e work for me.  I'm finally on the right path.  I love running the mob of Death Co. on foot with Bolters.  I'm not a big fan of tactical marines, they are flexible or tactical enough for the way I like to play.  I want options, every time I play tactical marines I feel like I am picking between shooting or charging and the math in my head tells me quite clearly that I need both to take out units. I'm not worrying about this at all any more.  Death Co. do either or both with relentless and can counter against any Deathstar unit out there.  Death Co. don't have the 2+, 3++, power-weapons or anything else fancy, but how many other death star units have 25 wounds with FNP?

I had a great game with Bill last night that I really should have won, not going to blame dice or anything. But as good as Death Co. if you have them all base to base with each other directly in front of two vindicators...and don't learn your lesson after the first round of pie plates, then you're a moron, or over tired.

Despite getting smacked around by the vindis, I did get to unleash the Death Co. on Lysander and a squad of Sternguard that dropped behind my lines via drop pod turn one.  The sternguard picked off a few after the pie plates did their thing, leaving me with 9 Death Co., Librarian and a Chaplain.

Lysander is big and scary, but I knew I needed to charge.  I strung out the Librarian and the Chaplain so that neither was in base contact at the start of combat, making them not eligible to be challenged by Lysander.  It took a while...and the local rules judge to confirm this would work.  The short of it was that Lysander is going to roll enough ones to bite it when he has to roll 26 armor saves.

This is a really big shift away from how I play.  I love small elite units with lots of gear.  For me that I what the space marines are all about, one man armies that can handle anything.  However, probability can come into play all to often when your elite 5 man squad has such a small dice pool.  25 Death Co. make sure that the pool brings things closer to average...divination to allow re-rolls to hit, and a chaplain for re-rolling to hit and wound on the charge, ensure a much higher rate of success.

So the real point here,  I needed to make sure that I wrote down what a noob I was with my blob placement so that I don't keep making that same mistake.  Bill was pretty much ready to concede after I whiped out Lysander and the squad, until he noticed that I group up the remaining Death Co. again Like I had them during the first round of shooting.  A couple more pie plates and it was just the librarian and 1 or two of the DC left.  Bill decided to keep going after that and we ended up with a tie.



No comments:

Post a Comment