Friday, May 25, 2012

Doubles is tomorrow...am I ready?


Not really, but close enough.  As usual the army is not quite finished and will not be 100% by tomorrow morning.  I still need to shade 10 assault marines,  25 marines need to be based, 5 honor guard need some touch up and the bases themselves need to be finished...The good news is that I don't have to model or paint the piranhas Gundam John was going to use.  Something about the version if IA they are from isn't allowed, so he'll be using Pathfinders instead.

To do list
Dip Marines
Highlight Honor Guard Wings (using Sanguinary Guard models)
Add snow to bases
Add models to bases
Highlights on Apothecary
Shoulders on Honor Guard
Company Standard...I'm drawing a complete blank on this, might need some outside input quickly!

Bases
Another hidden gem is the bases I started last night.  I have had the idea for months and just hadn't gotten around to it. Slate.  Roofing slate to be precise.  My mother has been painting welcome signs on slates for years so I took a few of the broken chips from the pile.  Chipping them down further to the size of  about an infantry base.

First I used white glue to get sand on the base, followed up with a quick black spray paint coat.  I dry brushed a couple of shades of gray onto this to make the texture pop a bit more.  After that dried  I started gluing on bits of slate.  I started with a small piece on one end of the base, then placed a larger piece over it so that one end of the large piece sits on the base and the other end is angled up.  The Death Co. Models are all angled so that they are looking down or a little hunched over with the jump packs.  I found it hard to see the details of the paint job on the front of the models with them flat on a base.  With the slate angled  it will be much easier on the eyes to take in the paint job.

This is where I am, about to add the models to the base, but remembered that the board I am working on is also going to be covered with snow.  I'll try and get some snow on the edges of the slate tonight before getting the models attached...This actually is getting me worries since I am not sure how well the plastic and slate will stick...something I should have tested out before getting 25 of these bases assembled...we'll find out tonight.

Narrative
On a side note to the model preparation, Gundam John and I have been collaborating on a narrative to go along with the list.  A little extra flavor or fluff to bring along with us for our opponents to read while they wait for us to setup.  Once we have that finished, I will be adding it here along with the WIP history of my DIY chapter "The Edge of Dawn".

Expect an update this weekend on how things go tomorrow.  I'm looking for us to win all three games and to table at least one player. 




No comments:

Post a Comment