Thursday, May 31, 2012

Doubles Results

Doubles tournament recap. I'll start by saying it was fun, but I was not satisfied at all with the first or second game.

First game was against Space Puppies and Vampires.  They were rolling with a few of the Forge World variants since the tournament allowed them; Assault drop pod, dreadnought with a Flamestorm Cannon and the Achilles Landraider.  Gundam John glanced the Achilles into a wreck first time, because broadsides can do that.  The game's primary was objectives, 2 in each players deployment zone.  Those in your own zone were worth 2, in your opponents zone were worth 8.  We ended up each getting 2 points.

I over extended with my assault marines in two locations and it cost us the scoring units needed to hold their objectives by turn 6.  We easily won the secondary of kill points though.  I blame myself for this one and would for the same reason I would in the 3rd game and did in both practice games...over extending with the assault marines.  In truth I'm still not use to using them. A whole 5 games is not quite enough to bear something through my skull on how to use it properly.  However, I'm considering this lesson learned at this point.

Game 2 was interesting, 2 Black templars.  Primary was Objectives again, secondary was kill a unit of your opponents that you specify ahead of time. Tertiary was kill points.  I may have the order here mixed up a bit...They were running a pair of land raiders, 4 land speeders (3 were typhoons), 3 terminator squads (2 regular and 1 assault in a LRC) and some crusader squads.

This game went the way it should.  I if I used my assualt marines in every game like I did in this one, there is a good chance we would have tabled our opponents the first round and at least made a good show of the last round.  I plowed forward with the terminator squad right from the start, and brought out the honor guard into cover on the other side.  I kept all of the assault marines within range so the would counter assault anything that went at the terminators.  Turn 1 got a great run 6" and they were out in the open ready to get hit by 3 different squads on turn 2 if they took the bait.

Turn 1 Gundam John tries to take out the land raider we marked and immbolizes it on their table edge in the corner...there it would stay otherwise unharmed for the rest of the game...seemed like a great idea...

Anyway on turn 2 I pull the terminators back a hair, making the the distance for assault on their turn pretty questionable.  They argue back and forth if they should assault or not.  I'm trying not to laugh.  One want to assault and the other wants to ignore the terminators and get closer to the broadsides.  Both of these are the wrong answer.  At this point they are both so exposed to my TDA and assault marines, the only smart thing would have been to pull back about 6 inches so the assault terminators could catch up and be in the fight next turn.

They chose to ignore the terminators.  Next turn the kroot come on from the side and hammer the assault termiantors against my TDA anvil.  I multi-assault into the ranged TDA and some crusaders.  We win the assault and all that remains is on of the Black Templar Assault terminators, PERFECT.  We can't get shot up that turn.  We easily finish him off during their assault then recover to take out the crusaders that ignored my terminators.  We end up with Victory points and the objectives, but tie on the secondary to kill the marked for death unit.

Game 3 was a horrid mess from the start.  We were both mentally capped to start

1 comment:

  1. Game 3, yeah, not our finest hour and the Tau's inability to actually hit a unit was the worst 4 rounds of shooting I have ever experienced.

    ReplyDelete